Harvey Pleads Not Guilty to Habitual Felon Charge

From The Charlotte Observer By Meghan Cooke, May 31, 2012

Michael Harvey, the man charged in the 2010 death of Valerie Hamilton, pleaded not guilty on Thursday to being a habitual felon.

Harvey, a 36-year-old registered sex offender with a long criminal record, has previously pleaded not guilty to murder in Hamilton’s death. His trial is scheduled to begin in July.

Hamilton, 23, went out with friends to Thomas Street Tavern off Central Avenue in September 2010 and left with Harvey. Days later, the daughter of then-Concord police Chief Merl Hamilton was found wrapped in sheets in a storage unit along Monroe Road.

Her autopsy showed that Hamilton died from a combination of heroin and cocaine. Police charged Harvey with murder, saying he failed to get Hamilton medical help despite being told by others that she needed to be taken to the hospital.

Harvey has said that Hamilton overdosed in her sleep.

Harvey also faces charges of concealing a death, possession of a counterfeit controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of a gun by a felon and larceny of a vehicle.

On Thursday, Harvey appeared for only a few minutes in a Mecklenburg courtroom, where his attorney said he would plea not guilty to the habitual felon charge. Harvey did not speak.

Harvey was convicted of a first-degree sex offense in New York state in 1996, records show. In 2006, he was convicted of failing to register as a sex offender in Mecklenburg County, and in 2009, he was convicted of felony larceny and breaking and entering. That same year, he was convicted of shoplifting in Iredell.

Last year, he was convicted of breaking and entering vehicles and larceny in Gaston County.

Advertisements
Published in: on May 31, 2012 at 4:20 pm  Leave a Comment  

CMPD Robbery Detectives Seek Public’s Help in Identifying Harris-Teeter Robbery Suspects

From http://www.crimeincharlotte.com, May 30, 2012
Robbery Detectives with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department are asking for the public’s assistance in identifying the suspect pictured wearing the baseball cap in the attached photograph.  The suspect is wanted for an armed robbery he and another male suspect committed on May 29, 2012, at the Harris Teeter located at 11516 Providence Road.
a
Detectives indicate these suspects have a similar appearance as the individuals responsible for a series of armed robberies at Harris Teeters’ in Cornelius, Union County, and South Carolina. The CMPD is working closely with the respective agencies who have experienced these armed robberies in their jurisdictions as well as the FBI.
Additionally, the Harris Teeter Corporation  is offering up to a $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the individuals responsible.  Anyone with information concerning the suspects identities and or whereabouts is asked to call 9-11 or the Crime Stoppers tip line at 704.334.1600.
  

Published in: on May 31, 2012 at 10:07 am  Leave a Comment  

Shots Fired in Robbery of Ballantyne Harris-Teeter

Drom www.wbtv.com by Andrea Dykes, May 29, 2012

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) – Charlotte-Mecklenburg police are looking for two men who they say fired shots inside a south Charlotte grocery store during an armed robbery Tuesday.

Police were called to the Harris Teeter store located at 11560 Providence Road shortly after 10 p.m.

No one was shot during the robbery, but police said the suspects fired multiple shots inside the store.

A store manager was assaulted, police said after the suspects hit the employee in the back of the head. Paramedics treated them on the scene.

The suspects fled the scene on foot…running along Providence Road, police said. Police only had a vague description of the suspects.

Both were wearing clothing that concealed their identities.

Today’s robbery comes just hours after Harris Teeter offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person suspected of robbing another Harris Teeter store in Cornelius earlier this month.

Police have not said if the two robberies are related.

Published in: on May 29, 2012 at 11:51 pm  Comments (1)  

CMPD Officers Searching for Another Felon Who Cut-Off His Electronic Monitoring Device

From The Charlotte Observer by Cleve R. Wootson, Jr., May 29, 2012

A man scheduled to appear in court on charges of possession of a firearm by a felon hacked off his electronic monitor and is on the loose, police said.

G4N55D868.2

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say Wade Bolton, 21, cut off his electronic monitoring device Tuesday — about the same time he was due in Superior Court.

Wade Bolton, who Charlotte-Mecklenburg police describe as a habitual felon with several arrests for auto theft, assaults, and firearms violations, cut off his monitor somewhere near Marlowe Avenue in the Ashley Park neighborhood in west Charlotte.

Police encourage anyone with information about Marlowe’s whereabouts to call the Violent Criminal Apprehension team at 704-336-VCAT or 911.

Bolton is the 14th person this year to cut off his court ordered monitor, according to police. The monitors, given to certain offenders who bond out of jail, are in a plastic box attached to a rubber strap, which is lined with fiber optic lines. The strap can be cut with a knife or even sharp scissors. But any slight cut triggers an alert .

CMPD’s $35,000-a-month monitoring program was started in response to a rise in robberies, but has grown significantly since its start in 2007, and is being expanded to cover an array of crimes and suspects.
 

 

Published in: on May 29, 2012 at 10:32 pm  Leave a Comment  

Man Shot While Walking Down South Boulevard

From http://www.wcnc.com by Bernadette Jay, May 29, 2012

CHARLOTTE, N.C. –  The northbound lane of South Boulevard was briefly closed Monday night after a man was shot while walking down the street.

The shooting happened near the intersection of South Boulevard and Beacon Ridge Road.  According to Charlotte-Mecklenburg police, the victim said he was walking down the road when someone drove by and shot him in the lower leg.

Authorities shut down the northbound lane of South Boulevard as the investigation unfolded, the busy stretch of road has since reopened

NewsChannel 36 has learned, the victim is expected to survive the shooting. No one has been arrested.

Published in: on May 29, 2012 at 11:26 am  Leave a Comment  

CMPD Officers Catch Carjacking Suspect Minutes After The Crime

From http://www.wbtv.com, May 28, 2012 by Ron Lee

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) – A police cruiser pulled up behind a car on the freeway, the officer didn’t realize the sedan had just been involved in a carjacking.

It’s one of the most terrifying crimes that can happen to a person.

You’re walking to your car, then suddenly, you’re starring down the barrel of a gun.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said around 1am Monday, a man was walking through a parking lot near the Bojangle’s restaurant on North Tryon Street.

Two men came up behind him and pulled a gun.

The suspects demanded the victim’s keys, and took off in the now stolen car. There are no reported injuries to the victim.

The late model Caprice with large rims hit I-85, and began traveling southbound.

A police cruiser coming back from a recent call pulled up behind the car less than two minutes after the crime, but the theft was so new, the officer inside didn’t realize the car was involved in the carjacking.

Police said the officer thought the car looked out of place, and ran the plates, that’s when he saw the car was just stolen.

Police hit the blue lights, and the suspects in the Caprice hit the gas. Officers said the sedan lead them through the streets of Charlotte at over seventy miles an hour trying to get away.

At one point, the car was on West Boulevard near Billy Graham, when the driver decided to dump the vehicle and make a run for it.

The passenger was arrested on the scene, but the driver hid in the nearby woods and disappeared.

State Troopers seen with high-powered weapons joined in the search along with two CMPD canine teams, but it appears the second suspect was able to get away.

The passenger was taken in for questioning. There’s no word right now on what charges he may face. A gun was recovered in the vehicle.

Published in: on May 28, 2012 at 9:12 am  Leave a Comment  

University City Dollar Tree Shooting Victim Released From Hospital, Survives Gunshot Wound to Head

From http://www.wsoctv.com, May 27, 2012

Charlotte, N.C. — A woman shot in the head during a robbery attempt at a Dollar Tree Friday night has been released from the hospital.

Police said a man approached a 20 year-old woman working at the store on University City Boulevard and demanded the store’s deposit bag.

According to officials, when the woman turned her head, the man shot her.  They said the position of her head may have saved her life.

Police are still searching for the suspect.

Published in: on May 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm  Leave a Comment  

One Person Shot in Another East Charlotte Robbery Attempt

From http://www.wsoctv.com, May 25, 2012

 Albemarle shooting, stabbing
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — One person was shot in East Charlotte just before 5 a.m. Friday.

Police said it appears to have been a robbery attempt on Albemarle Road near Central Avenue.

The victim is expected to survive, police said.

Police have not released many details in the robbery.

Published in: on May 27, 2012 at 12:50 pm  Leave a Comment  

1,500 Pounds of Marijuana Found in Tractor-Trailer at Charlotte Warehouse

From The Charlotte Observer By Meghan Cooke, May 25, 2012

Six men are facing federal drug charges after authorities said they discovered a tractor-trailer with 1,500 pounds of marijuana at a northern Charlotte warehouse.

Antonio Ricardez Garcia, 26, of Gastonia

Israel De Leon, 36

Jose Gonzalez, 42, of Hidalgo, Texas

Ornis Leger, 42, of Charlotte

Wenceslau Hernandez Perez, 31, of Gastonia

On Thursday, authorities received information that a tractor-trailer carrying the drugs would arrive at a hotel on Sunset Road off Interstate 77 in Charlotte, according to an indictment filed in U.S District Court.

Drug Enforcement Administration agents set up surveillance in the area, the indictment says, and around 1:40 p.m. Thursday, agents spotted the vehicle – an 18-wheeler with a refrigerated trailer.

Agents said they also saw suspects at a nearby Days Inn on Sunset Road.

After several hours of surveillance and following suspects around the area, authorities watched as the tractor-trailer arrived at a warehouse on Old Statesville Road near West W.T. Harris Boulevard, according to the indictment. Authorities said the warehouse is known as a drop-off point for large loads of marijuana.

Then, agents said, they saw several men in and around the trailer and heard the sounds of heavy objects hitting the floor. Authorities moved in to arrest the men, who tried to flee.

Inside the tractor-trailer, authorities found 125 plastic-wrapped bales of marijuana totaling 1,500 pounds, the indictment says. A van driven by one of the suspects had another 60 bales of marijuana – about 700 pounds.

One suspect told authorities that the drugs had been driven to Charlotte from Texas.

Charged in the case are Jose Gonzalez, 42, of Hidalgo, Texas; Ornis Leger, 42, of Charlotte; Antonio Ricardez Garcia, 26, of Gastonia; Wenceslau Hernandez Perez, 31, of Gastonia; Israel De Leon, 36; and Gonzalo Banuelos Perez. Staff researcher Maria David contributed.

Published in: on May 26, 2012 at 12:05 am  Leave a Comment  

Alleged United Blood Nation Gang Members (The Bloods) Indicted on Federal Crimes in Charlotte

From http://www.wbt.com May 23, 2012 by Nick Needham and Kristy Etheridge

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) – GASTON COUNTY, NC (WBTV) – Twenty-seven alleged members of the United Blood Nation gang were arrested on Friday, May 18, 2012, and charged with racketeering and related charges. The 35-count indictment was unsealed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Charlotte.

“Getting those people off the street is huge for Gastonia, and for the state,” said Sgt. Jeff Clark with the Gastonia Police Department.
Wednesday’s announcement was made by Anne M. Tompkins, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina and Chris Briese, Special Agent in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Charlotte Division.

According to the indictment, which was returned by a grand jury on May 16, 2012, the defendants conspired to participate in a racketeering enterprise, that is, the United Blood Nation (“UBN” or “Bloods”) and several factions of the UBN. The indictment alleges that from 2007 to May 2012, in the Western District of North Carolina and elsewhere, the defendants conspired to operate as a gang.

In doing so, the indictment alleges that the defendants engaged in criminal activities, including racketeering conspiracy, murder conspiracy, narcotics trafficking, armed robbery and firearms related crimes.

The indictment details a long list of alleged crimes by the twenty-seven men and women arrested.

One section details an incident detectives say happened September 17, 2008 on Drake St. in Gastonia. According to the indictment, three alleged gang members, Maurice Terrell Robinson, Tristan Daquane Goode, and Joston Jamal Clemmer intended to rob a drug dealer at his home.

The indictment says the dealer didn’t answer the door, but a visitor who was not affiliated with a gang who opened the door was shot in the face by the gang members.

“It’s a scary thought,” said Gastonia resident Mary Copeland. “To know somebody could be walking out here with no conscience.”

Copeland learned Wednesday just how serious the gang problem is in Gaston County.

“It’s shocking,” she said.
Charged in the indictment are:
• James Anderson, a/k/a “Stank, 28, currently incarcerated;
• Alan Boyd Donta Barnett, a/k/a “Big Al”, 37, of Gastonia, N.C;
• Eric Eugene Brice, a/k/a “Bug”, 40, of Gastonia, N.C.;
• Travis Lamar Brice, a/k/a “Trap”, 28, currently incarcerated;
• Quinton Lavar Brown, a/k/a “QP” or “QB”, 20, currently incarcerated;
• Rafas Gene Camp, a/k/a “Tick”, 32, of Shelby, N.C.;
• Joston Jamal Clemmer, a/k/a “Ace”, 21, of Gastonia, N.C;
• Kemmey Nicole Cooke, a/k/a ” Gangsta Wu”, 29, of Chesapeake, Va.;
• Jaimel Kenzie Davison, a/k/a “I-Shine”, 28, currently incarcerated;
• Wesley Tyler Floyd, a/k/a “West Coast”, 26, of Gastonia, N.C.;
• Davon Yakeen Futrell, a/k/a “Smooth”, 24, of Gastonia, N.C.;
• Tristan Daquane Goode, a/k/a “Buck”, 20, of Ranlo, N.C.;
• Nathaniel Graham, a/k/a “Nasty”, 23, currently incarcerated;
• Joseph Dranell Gray, a/k/a “Killa”, 38, currently incarcerated;
• Dominque O’Neill Jackson, a/k/a “DJ”, 23, of Gastonia, N.C.;
• Jimmy Lionell, Jones, a/k/a “Buddhist” or “Buddha”, 37, currently incarcerated;
• William Amir Knox, a/k/a “Poo Nuk”, 28, currently incarcerated;
• Kentrell Tyrone McIntyre, a/k/a “Mustafa”, 32, currently incarcerated;
• William Lewis Dontars Meeks, a/k/a “Willie” or “Rock”, 34, of Gastonia, N.C.;
• Kevin Jerome Morris, a/k/a “Kato”, 34, of Shelby, N.C.;
• Franklin Robbs, a/k/a “Frankie Boo”, 41, currently incarcerated;
• Maurice Terrell Robinson, a/k/a “Hell Rell”, 22, of Lincolton, N.C.;
• Andrew Eugene Stowe, a/k/a “Coco”, 36, of Gastonia, N.C.;
• Marquise Deshawn Watson, a/k/a ” Rambo”, 20, of Gastonia, N.C.;
• Melinda Charmane Watson, 36, of Gastonia, N.C.;
• Daryl Wilkinson, a/k/a “OG Powerful”, 47, currently incarcerated;
• Samatha Williams, a/k/a “Samantha Wilkinson” or “Lady Sam”, 43, of Bronx, N.Y.; and
• Perry Gorontent Williams, a/k/a “P-Flame” or “Flame”, 26, currently incarcerated.

According to allegations contained in the indictment, as part of the conspiracy the defendants engaged in drug trafficking, and used the proceeds of their drug crimes to help finance the gang’s criminal activities. In addition to drug trafficking, the indictment alleges that the defendants committed armed robberies and armed home invasions in order to generate proceeds to support the enterprise.

The indictment also alleges that as part of the conspiracy, the defendants committed acts of violence against rival gang members. Allegations contained in the indictment also state that the defendants concealed their criminal activities and obstructed justice, including threatening potential witnesses. The indictment further alleges that the defendants maintained and circulated a collection of firearms for the use in criminal activity by UBN members.

The indictment alleges that the defendants and other UBN gang members in North Carolina and elsewhere identified gang members belonging to other UBN or Bloods factions by their gang names and phone numbers, including telephone area codes. For example, the indictment alleges, area code “704” represented gang factions within Mecklenburg and Gaston Counties.

The indictment also alleges that gang members identified other gang members who were incarcerated by their street gang names and by their inmate identification numbers, in lieu of their telephone numbers. The members incarcerated were referred to as “behind the G wall,” the indictment alleges.

According to the indictment, as gang members of the UBN enterprise, the defendants met regularly with other UBN members. The indictment alleges that during those meetings gang members talked about past acts of violence and other crimes against rival gang members, about UBN gang members who had been arrested or incarcerated, about police interactions with gang members and discussed internal disciplinary action of other UBN members.

The indictment further alleges that during these meetings, gang members also shared identities of individuals whom they suspected to be cooperating with law enforcement and discussed the types of action that ought to be taken against those individuals. The indictment further alleges that during these meetings, UBN members also planned and agreed to carry out future crimes, including murder, robbery, and drug trafficking.

“Street gangs spread violence in our cities and fear in our neighborhoods. Gang members engage in a range of illegal activities, from drug trafficking to armed robbery to conspiracy to commit murders. Through coordinated enforcement actions we will pursue relentlessly dangerous gangs and dismantle their illegal activities that bring violent crimes to our streets and erode the stability of our communities,” said U.S. Attorney Tompkins.

“The FBI is committed to dismantling the gangs that threaten the safety and stability of our neighborhoods. This two year investigation is an outstanding example of what federal, state, and local law enforcement can accomplish when we attack the gangs that operate in our communities,” said FBI’s Special Agent in Charge Chris Briese.

The charges contained in the indictment are allegations. The defendants are presumed innocent unless and until they proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

The case is being investigated by the FBI in cooperation with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, the Gastonia Police Department, the Gaston County Police Department, the Gaston County Sheriff’s Office, the Shelby Police Department, and North Carolina Department of Probation and Parole.

The prosecution is handled by Assistant U.S. Attorney Jill Westmoreland Rose and Thomas Kent of the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Published in: on May 23, 2012 at 10:06 pm  Leave a Comment  
%d bloggers like this: