Convicted Felon Charged with Attempted First-degree Murder in Home Invasion that Left 2 Women Shot

Barricaded Man Wanted in Robbery that Left 2 Women Shot

From www.wsoctv.com, August 31, 2012

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police just arrested a man who barricaded himself inside a north Charlotte home Friday morning.

Police confirmed to Channel 9 that Paicos Raynardo Lucas, 40, was wanted in a home invasion on Alma Court that occurred last week that left two women shot.  In that incident, police said he forced his way in and shot two women in the chest.

Lucas gave himself up at the home on Durham Lane about 8:40 a.m., police said.

Police were attempting to serve a warrant on him.

Lucas was charged with two counts of first-degree attempted murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon, first-degree burglary and possession of a firearm by a felon.

The two women remain hospitalized at Carolinas Medical Center where they are recovering from their gunshot wounds.

Channel 9 has learned that a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools bus was affected by the police situation.

Bus No. 908, headed to James Martin Middle School, with 12 students on board was rerouted, was expected to arrive late for school.

Advertisements
Published in: on August 31, 2012 at 6:06 pm  Comments (1)  

Appeal Again Denied for Man Who Killed 2 CMPD Officers

By NewsChannel 36 Staff

The man who killed two Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers had his appeal denied in court again Thursday.

The state Supreme Court denied Demeatrius Montgomery’s appeal.

Appeal again denied for man who killed 2 CMPD officers              Demeatrius Montgomery

He’s serving life in prison for killing officers Jeff Shelton and Sean Clark at an east Charlotte apartment complex back in 2007.

Montgomery was arrested hours after their murders. Last year, a jury of 12 men and woman found him guilty of murder after weeks of testimony.

The death penalty was taken off the table in the case because one of the investigators burned his notes from the scene. He was later fired from the force.

Published in: on August 31, 2012 at 8:32 am  Leave a Comment  

Concealed Carry Permit Holder Stops Robbery, Kills Offender

Armed Customer Shoots Dollar Store Robber, Killing Him
By NBC News Staff, August 28, 2012 via www.ten8.wordpress.com

A Jacksonville, Fla., dollar store customer shot and killed a robber Monday night, ActionNewsJax.com reported.

According to the report, the customer — a 57-year-old grandfather — and two store employees were inside the Dollar General store Monday around 9 p.m. when two armed men entered the store with the intention to rob it.

“One of them had the clerk and one of them was at the front cash register,” Lt. Rob Schoonover of the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office told Jacksonville.com.

The customer, who has a concealed weapon permit, shot and killed one of the intruders, FirstCoastNews.com reported.

“There was a citizen who had a concealed firearms permit that was inside  the  store as a customer,” Lt. Schoonover told WOKV.com. “He fired at the  suspect, striking  him and killing him.”

The man was found dead when police arrived at the scene. No charges are pending against the shooter, WOKV.com said.

“He’s always been a marksman,” the man’s wife told Jacksonville.com. “He shoots in competitions, but this is the first time he’s ever killed anyone and I don’t know how he’ll handle that.”

The second suspect fled the scene in a small SUV, FirstCoastNews.com reported. Police say the man is about 6 feet tall man and was wearing khaki pants, a blue bandana and black gloves, ActionNewsJax.com reported.

Published in: on August 30, 2012 at 8:01 pm  Leave a Comment  

Would-Be Victim Turns Tables on Assailant

2 Shot During Attempted Robbery in East Charlotte

By RYAN WIXTED / WCNC.com, August 30, 2012

Two men were shot after a fight at an east Charlotte apartment complex early Thursday morning.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said two suspects approached two men and tried to rob them at the Magnolia Square Apartments in east Charlotte.
A fight broke out and one of the victims was shot in the hand. The second victim was able to wrestle the gun away from one of the suspects and shot him in the chest and head, according to police.
The robbery suspect was taken to a local hospital and is listed in critical condition. No word yet on what charges will be filed in the incident.
Published in: on August 30, 2012 at 7:55 pm  Leave a Comment  

Woman Shot After Confronting Men Who Stole Her Car

By RYAN WIXTED / WCNC.com, August 30, 2012

A woman was shot after confronting four men who had stolen her car in west Charlotte Thursday morning.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said a woman confronted four men who stole her car on Wednesday at a gas station at the intersection of Freedom Drive and Tuckaseegee Road.
Woman shot after confronting men who stole her car
The suspects were able to get away in the woman’s car but she followed them and was shot at.
The woman was hit by a bullet and pulled over at the intersection of  Tuckaseegee Road and Glenwood Drive to call police.
Police and Medic arrived on scene and transported the woman to a local hospital with non life-threatening injuries, according to police.
All four suspects were able to flee the scene and have not yet been caught, police said.
Published in: on August 30, 2012 at 7:46 pm  Leave a Comment  

Jail to Suspend Some Inmate Visits Around DNC

From The Charlotte Observer by April Bethea, August 29, 2012

Inmates at Mecklenburg County’s two jails won’t be able to have visits from family or friends for more than a week because of the upcoming Democratic National Convention.

Attorneys and people in other legal or professional roles, such as clergy or probation officers, will still be allowed to conduct business with inmates from Saturday through Sept. 9, according to the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office.

But other public visitation will be temporarily suspended. All visits will resume on Sept. 10. The county’s two jails will be near the center of DNC activities.

Jail Central is on Fourth Street in uptown and within the security perimeter. Jail North on Spector Drive is where people who are arrested will be sent for processing.

Julia Rush, spokeswoman for the Sheriff’s Office, said the decision to suspend public visits came because of the potential for security checkpoints around jail facilities, and limited parking in the area. The decision was made, she said, “in the interest and convenience of visitors.”

Rush said access still will be allowed for attorneys and other professionals because some courts will still run next week, and most of those can walk to the jail or other judicial buildings.

Jail inmates typically are allowed one 30-minute visit per week. On average, there are 4,637 visitors per month at Jail Central and 1,715 at Jail North, officials said.

Last week, the Sheriff’s Office allowed two visits for inmates in some housing units at Jail Central. Inmates in the other units will be permitted two visits during the week of Sept. 10.

Meanwhile, inmates at Jail North will get hourlong visits during the week of Sept. 10. There are fewer inmates in that facility in northern Charlotte.

Earlier this week, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police announced that the department’s headquarters in uptown would be closed from 6 a.m. Saturday until 3 p.m. Sept. 7. People who need to get a report can go to a CMPD division office during regular business hours or the department’s West Service Center at 4150 Wilkinson Blvd.

Published in: on August 30, 2012 at 7:20 pm  Leave a Comment  

Suspect Sought in East Charlotte Bank Robbery

From The Charlotte Observer by April Bethea, August 29, 2012

Authorities are searching for a man who they say robbed a BB&T Bank branch in east Charlotte on Wednesday.

Authorities are searching for a man who they say robbed a BB&T Bank branch in the 8800 block of Albemarle Road in east Charlotte on Wednesday. Anyone with information about the suspect is asked to call Charlotte-Mecklenburg Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600 or the FBI’s Charlotte office at 704-672-6100.

The robbery occurred around 11:05 a.m. at the BB&T branch in the 8800 block of Albemarle Road. No injuries were reported.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation said the suspect walked into the bank and passed a note to the teller. The suspect received cash, then walked out of the building, authorities said.

The suspect was described as a black male who is about 6-foot to 6-foot-1 with a slender build. The man was wearing a multi-colored hat, long sleeve shirt, and blue hospital scrub type pants, authorities said in a news release.

Anyone with information about the suspect is asked to call Charlotte-Mecklenburg Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600 or the FBI’s Charlotte office at 704-672-6100.

Published in: on August 30, 2012 at 7:17 pm  Leave a Comment  

Charlotte Woman Gets No Jail Time After Admitting to Killing Mother of Six

 Robinson Claimed Self-Defense

From News 14 Carolina By Shawn Flynn, August 30, 2012

Katie Robinson won’t spend another day behind bars after admitting she killed a mother of six in an uptown Charlotte bar fight. The 32-year-old pleaded guilty Thursday to an involuntary manslaughter charge regarding a December 2011 fight at Hartigan’s pub that left Antoinette Baker dead.

“She was just always happy,” said Sharon Car, referring to her niece, Baker. Outside the Mecklenburg County Courthouse Thursday, family and friends remembered Baker. “She loved those kids,” said Car. Family say the mother of six was just figuring out life when she went out with her sisters to the pub last December. That’s where she was stabbed with a bottle by Robinson.

“She took somebody very special to a lot of people. She took a mother of six. It’s so sad,” said Baker’s friend, Retina Hogue.

Robinson apparently told police she killed the victim in self-defense. The assistant district attorney told the judge there were conflicting witness statements and getting a conviction in court would be difficult.

In the plea deal, Robinson received a suspended sentence, and won’t spend another day behind bars.

“I am not OK with the sentence, but we just want this to go away,” said Hogue. “We don’t hate her. I do believe at the end of the day God will be her judge and jury. I don’t hate her. I forgive her.”

While Robinson accepted responsibility for Baker’s death in the guilty plea, some family members wanted more.

“She never said she was sorry and we didn’t see any remorse,” said Baker’s cousin, Brittany Burch. “Just apologize. Be a woman. Apologize.”

Baker’s mother fought back tears during the hearing.

“I need to focus on those babies,” said Tammy Hutton.  She is now taking care of her daughter’s six children.

Published in: on August 30, 2012 at 7:09 pm  Leave a Comment  

3 Charged with Dealing in Fake DMV Documents After Raid in Charlotte

From www.wsoctv.com, August 29, 2012

Three people are charged with having fake documents after a raid at a south Charlotte business.

Tuesday, investigators from the Department of Motor Vehicle searched La Popular Market on South Boulevard.

They said they found license plates, title documents and receipts that were being sold illegally.

Investigators arrested the store’s owner, Felipe De Jesus Chavez.

The investigators raided another business and a home, arresting two more people.

Published in: on August 29, 2012 at 8:54 am  Leave a Comment  

1 Resident Shot in Charlotte Home Invasion, Delay in Calling Police Results in Suspects Escaping

From The Charlotte Observer, August 29, 2012

One person was shot in the arm early Wednesday during a home invasion and robbery in northeast Charlotte, police say.

Two men, one armed with a handgun, burst into a home about 2 a.m. in the 2000 block of Purser Drive, not far from Eastway and Shamrock drives.

The intruders stole several items from the two occupants. Police say that as the intruders were leaving, one of them fired a shot at an occupant. The victim was hospitalized with injuries that were not life-threatening, according to police.

No description of the gunmen was released.

Reports of Man Shot During Home Invasion Delayed 30 Minutes

From www.wbtv.com, August 29, 2012 by Ron Lee

A man is shot during an early morning home invasion, but the shooting isn’t reported for over a half an hour.

Neighbors tell police they heard several gunshots one after another around the area of Purser Drive in east Charlotte about 12:30am Tuesday, But is wasn’t until after 1am that the call of a man shot was called in to the 911 dispatch center.

Emergency crews located the victim at a house along the 2000 block of Purser, and took him to Carolinas Medical Center.  Officials said he was shot once in the arm, but should recover.

Police then turned their attention to the people inside of the house.

Officers on scene said several people were having a late night get together at the home, when two men bull rushed their way in.  Right now it’s unclear if they kicked in the door, or just shoved their way in, but damage could be seen to the outside of the door.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police told us several items were stolen in the armed robbery, and sometime during the crime, the victim was shot.

The gunmen took off into the night, but because they had a thirty minute head-start, police were unable to find them.

If you have any information that could help officers locate these two men, you’re asked to call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

Published in: on August 29, 2012 at 8:45 am  Leave a Comment  
%d bloggers like this: