Gunmen threaten father, tots in home

From the Charlotte Observer of 9-1-09

Written by Christopher D. Kirkpatrick

No one was hurt in latest of recent home invasions, but bandits still at large took cash and valuables.

A father and his two toddlers were threatened at gunpoint Sunday afternoon inside their northeast Charlotte residence – another of several broad-daylight home invasions reported to police this summer.

The father told Charlotte-Mecklenburg police two men with handguns broke into his Fairstone neighborhood home in the Derita community, said CMPD Sgt. Jim Wilson, who is commander over the area.

“They were just in the home, and the suspects came inside and pointed guns and demanded money,” Wilson said.

The suspects seemed to know the 31-year-old father sells shoes out of his car for his job and figured he had cash at home, said Wilson. Even so, the victim didn’t recognize the suspects, he said.

No one was hurt in the robbery, which lasted about five minutes, Wilson said. The men took cash and some valuables. There haven’t been any arrests.

At the time of the robbery, the father, 31, was with his 2-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son. His 38-year-old brother also was in the house, located in the 3000 block of Fairglen Road off West Sugar Creek Road.

The area of starter homes has had three home invasions so far this year, Wilson said, compared to seven over the same period last year.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: