From crimeincharlotte.com, November 9, 2015
A man has been charged in the shooting and serious injury of an Army National Guard combat medic while she was feeding her baby in her East Charlotte home.
23-year-old Reco Latur Dawkins Jr. is charged with felony breaking and entering, attempted murder, and conspiracy. Dawkins turned himself in to the violent criminal apprehension team of the police department Sunday morning, according to police.
Right before 10 a.m. on Tuesday, November 3, 2015 intruders knocked on 21-year-old Semantha Bunce’s front door, rang her doorbell, then kicked the door in. Bunce had been feeding her baby.
When the intruders entered the house on Matlea Court, Bunce retrieved her gun and exchanged shots with the suspects at her bedroom door, according to family members.
Bunce was shot several times during the exchange. She was recovering at Carolinas Medical Center on Sunday.
Bunce’s baby was not injured in the incident.
Initially, police had thought more than one intruder was involved in the home invasion, but it was unclear on Sunday if investigators were searching for another person in the shooting.
Bunce’s husband, Paul Bunce III, said he believes the training his wife had as a U.S. Army 105th Engineer Battalion member is what helped her stay calm and focused during the shooting that could have been fatal.
Dawkins had been arrested several times previously, beginning when he was a teenager, on breaking and entering and other charges. His arrest on Sunday was his seventh within the last three years, the Mecklenburg Sheriff’s Office said.
Family members and police believe the crime was a random act.