Mecklenburg Prosecutors Build Case in Court Against Convicted Felon Accused of Sexual Assault

From http://www.wsoctv.com, March 28, 2015

Mecklenburg Prosecutors spent most of Friday, March 27, 2015 building their case that a man who spent nine years in prison for one sexual assault and beating did the same to a woman a year after he got out.

Fitzgerald Rice, 49, is charged with sexually assaulting, kidnapping and strangling the woman, who was then 25 years old, in his apartment in east Charlotte in December, 2012.

Fitzgerald Rice photo

Fitzgerald Rice

Earlier in the week, the woman had described the alleged attack in detail, but told the jury that she had gone to Rice’s apartment to perform a sex act for money before he turned violent. She also admitted changing her story to police several times.

So prosecutors tried to bolster her credibility by bringing in two other women who said Rice had attacked them in very similar circumstances in 1995 and 1997.

“Anywhere I went, he was there. He treated me like a dog,” said one of the women, describing the incident in 1997.

She said she had gone to Rice’s apartment to smoke crack and that he repeatedly raped and sexually assaulted her.

“He said he would kill me, and I believed him,” she told jurors.

Her story echoed that of another woman who described an alleged attack in 1995.

“I would say she was very upset, scared and crying. She wanted to get out of that apartment,” said a former police officer who had responded to that call and encountered the woman.

Rice’s attorney questioned the women’s motives for going to Rice’s apartment and pointed out that prosecutors had dismissed the charges in both cases.

Rice did plead guilty to another attack, also at his apartment, in 2001. He spent nine years in prison and was out of prison for only a year when police say he attacked the victim in the current case.

Because of his previous conviction, Rice could be sentenced to life in prison if he is convicted in the current trial.

Advertisements
Published in: on March 28, 2015 at 8:19 pm  Leave a Comment  

Convicted Felon Leads CMPD, NC Highway Patrol on Chase Through Several Counties

North Carolina Department of Public Safety records also show McCorkle has previous convictions, including felony cocaine possession in 2000 and misdemeanor assault on a female in 2004. Both of these incidents occurred in Mecklenburg County.

From http://www.wsoctv.com, March 28, 2015

A man is in custody Saturday after leading police in a two-hour chase through multiple counties Friday night.

Around 10:30 p.m., a Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department helicopter found a white, 2002 Cadillac Escalade driven by Jonathan McCorkle.

Jonathan McCorkle photo

Jonathan McCorkle

McCorkle, 40 was wanted for assault, felony larceny and other charges.

McCorkle continued to drive when a patrol car ordered him to stop.

The helicopter kept a spotlight on the car as officers on the ground pursued McCorkle to Interstate 85.

McCorkle continued to travel in and out of Gaston County, and back into Mecklenburg.

Highway patrol officers placed stop sticks on I-85 near the county line. McCorkle avoided the sticks. However, a highway patrol car, at least one tractor-trailer and an unrelated car hit them.

Officials said McCorkle continued to drive north on I-85 and took the Billy Graham exit traveling east towards Interstate 77. McCorkle swerved around a second stop stick deployment.

McCorkle hit a third stop stick near the I-77 interchange, which deflated two of his tires.

Police were able to trap his vehicle on East Boulevard.

McCorkle escaped from the car with a white pillow case full of marijuana and cash as well as a gun. He threw the gun into the bushes, but officials later found it.

McCorkle ran for three to four blocks until officials captured him in the 800 block of West Kingston Avenue.

CMPD is using several wallets holding IDs and credit cards they found in McCorkle’s car to help in the investigation.

Officials also said McCorkle tried to kidnap his girlfriend from a local bar.

No one was seriously injured.

McCorkle is charged with felony flee to elude, DWI, damage to state property; failure to heed blue lights and siren, possession of a firearm by felon, distributing drugs, driving while impaired and other related infractions.

In addition to the warrants, the suspect was also wanted for questioning by the York County Sherriff’s Office, Gaston police and the Union County Sherriff’s Office.

According to the Lincoln-Times Newspaper, McCorkle was also arrested in early March after a car chase in Lincolnton.

McCorkle passed troopers traveling 94 mph in a 45-mph zone. When troopers initiated a stop, he fled, reaching sppeds of 130 mph near Lincoln Charter School.

Troopers said he ran out of gas and fled into the woods. He was subdued with a taser in that incident and no weapons were found.

North Carolina Department of Public Safety records also show McCorkle has previous convictions, including felony cocaine possession in 2000 and misdemeanor assault on a female in 2004. Both of these incidents occurred in Mecklenburg County.

Published in: on March 28, 2015 at 8:10 pm  Leave a Comment  

Man Arrested in March 3, 2015 Violent Attack on Elderly Woman at Cotswold Harris Teeter

From http://www.twcnews.com by Becky Bereiter, March 4, 2015

The man charged with assaulting an elderly woman and an employee at the Cotswold Harris Teeter in Charlotte made his first appearance in court Wednesday afternoon.

Scottie Barringer, 34, appeared before the judge in a wheelchair and suffering from a broken nose. Barringer was appointed an attorney and should he post bond, will be placed on electronic monitoring as the legal process plays out.

Police were called to the scene just before 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, March 3, 2015. They say Marjorie McOrmond, 83, was getting into her car when Barringer punched her in the face, knocked her to the ground and stole her purse and car. A Harris Teeter employee, Thomas Albergotti, tried to intervene and stop Barringer from taking off but he was also seriously injured.

Barringer was arrested a few hours later in east Charlotte.

McOrmond remains in the hospital but officials say her condition is improving. Time Warner Cable News reached out to Albergotti, who is recovering at home, but Harris Teeter refused to let him share his story with the media. The company issued this statement:

“Harris Teeter places the highest priority on both the safety of our associates and our customers, and we certainly hope our associates and shoppers are never faced with a similar incident again.”

Court records show Barringer has a lengthy criminal past with charges ranging from assault and battery, car theft, and failing to register as a sex offender. One order for arrest from July of 2013 shows he has struck in shopping centers before. In that instance, he was picked up for pushing a shopping cart into the victim.

His next court date is scheduled for March 16.

Published in: on March 5, 2015 at 8:15 am  Leave a Comment  

83 Year Old Woman Robbed, Carjacked in Broad Daylight at Cotswold Harris Teeter on March 3, 2015

Harris Teeter Employee Attempting to Help Victim was Run Over by Suspect in Stolen Car

From http://www.wcnc.com, March 3, 2015

An 83-year-old Charlotte woman was robbed of her car and assaulted in the Cotswold Harris Teeter parking lot, and a Harris Teeter employee attempting to help was run over by the suspect fleeing in the woman’s stolen car, according to police reports.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police were called to the Harris Teeter in the 100 block of Sharon Amity Road in Cotswold around 11:20 Tuesday morning, March 3, 2015, in reference to a robbery of a person.

The 83-year-old female victim told officers she was pushed to the ground by a man, who then stole money from her purse, along with her car keys.

A Harris Teeter employee who saw the incident attempted to stop the suspect from stealing the silver Toyota Corolla, but was run over by the stolen vehicle as the suspected fled the scene, police say.

Both the woman and the Good Samaritan were taken to area hospitals with serious injuries.

Police say the stolen vehicle’s North Carolina license plate is “MZE-4149”.

Police are still searching for the suspect.

Published in: on March 3, 2015 at 10:04 pm  Leave a Comment  
%d bloggers like this: