From http://www.wcnc.com, March 27, 2014
Sources tell NBC Charlotte Cannon was very upset and absolutely surprised when he was arrested Thursday. Here’s a detailed look at how the Patrick Cannon investigation played out.
1. How it started — In 2010 FBI launches investigation against Patrick Cannon.
2. What happened – Multi-year investigation, Cannon receives $48K in cash, gifts.
4. Briefcase full of cash to mayor’s office — During a meeting, the affidavit says, Cannon got a leather Fossil briefcase containing $20,000 in cash.
5. Cannon switched vote against streetcar — After being against streetcar, Cannon switches vote.
6. SouthPark apartment – In 2012, the FBI leased an apartment in SouthPark. The apartment gave undercover agents credibility and a place to secretly record the mayor. Several times over the next year, Cannon asked agents for an apartment key.
7. The arrest – On Wednesday, Cannon was arrested after he met with an undercover agent at the SouthPark apartment rented by the FBI.
8. Governor Pat McCrory’s take – The NC governor speaks on the charges against Cannon.
9. City Council to appoint new mayor — City Council handles task for appointing new mayor.
10. What’s next? Indictment? Sentence? — How the case and sentence can play out for Cannon.