2 Shot Dead in Northeast Charlotte

From The Charlotte Observer By April Bethea, October 30, 2012

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have one man in custody after two people were found fatally shot inside a home in northeast Charlotte on Tuesday morning.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have one man in custody after two people were found dead inside a home on Malibu Drive in northeast Charlotte on Tuesday morning, October 30, 2012.

Police report the suspect said he had killed his girlfriend.

Capt. Nick Pellicone said police in the Hickory Grove division stopped a vehicle around 3 a.m. Tuesday that was traveling at high speed in the area. The driver was taken to the hospital to treat an unspecified medical issue, Pellicone said, and while there told medical staff he had killed his girlfriend.

Officers then went to a duplex in the 4900 block of Malibu Drive off The Plaza where they found a female and male deceased. A child who was at the home was not injured. The child was being cared for by an agency that works with children who are witnesses or victims of violence, Pellicone said.

The names of the victims and suspect have not been released yet. Police were still working to notify next of kin for the victims.

The shooting scene drew a heavy police presence, with more than a dozen CMPD vehicles present. Chief Rodney Monroe was among those at the scene Tuesday morning. At 9 a.m., police tape remained around the residence.  WCNC-TV contributed.

Published in: on October 30, 2012 at 9:59 am  Leave a Comment  

CMPD Releases Crime Stats: Robberies Increased 15 Percent

From http://www.wsoctv.com, October 26, 2012 by Holly Maynard
New numbers from Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department give a better idea of where certain crimes are increasing in Charlotte.On Thursday, police said that overall, robberies in Charlotte had increased 15 percent this year.

Using the latest numbers that CMPD released on its website, we now have a look at robbery rates in each division.  The numbers reflect the department’s year-to-date summary ending in September 2012.

They show that the Providence Division, which covers some of Charlotte’s most picturesque neighborhoods in Dilworth and Myers Park, saw a 45 percent increase in robberies from the year before.

One woman, who asked that we only refer to her as “Betty,” said she has lived there for several years.

“I do worry about going out to eat and whatnot, somebody coming up with a gun and trying to get you,” she said.

The captain of the Providence Division told Channel 9 that despite this year’s increase, robberies were down there in 2010 and 2011.

That is not the only division with a sizable increase in robberies shown through the September numbers.

There was about a 46 percent increase in the Eastway Division, a 40 percent increase in the Freedom Division, and a 38 percent increase in the North Division.

The captain of the North Division called Channel 9 to say the latest numbers from October show a 14 percent increase in robberies for the year and a 64 percent decrease for the quarter.

The captain of the Eastway Division said they have increased their night-time and weekend staffing to combat the increase in robberies. Just this week they made two arrests on separate robberies.

On Thursday, CMPD said they’re focusing on arresting the most violent offenders now.  So far this year they’ve made 586 robbery arrests.

“Just to let you know, 15 of those individuals were arrested for robbery more than once this year,” said Deputy Chief Doug Gallant.

Published in: on October 29, 2012 at 7:06 pm  Leave a Comment  

Concerned Charlotte Citizens Speak out Against Rising Crime

From www.wsoctv.com By Tina Terry, October 27, 2012

Concerned citizens and Charlotte city leaders came together Saturday to call for a stop to rising crime.

A Stop the Violence rally, sponsored by the Ketchmore Kids Foundation, was held in the Greenville Neighborhood of north Charlotte.  The area is served by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department’s Metro Division.  Statistics show overall crime is up this year by about 9 percent in that division.

Participants in the rally encouraged the community to speak up about violent crimes that could help lower those numbers.

“Don’t let people scare you into silence,” said Judy Williams, co-founder of Mothers of Murdered Offspring.

For more than a decade, Williams has been speaking out against violent crime.

“In 1993, my goddaughter was murdered by a serial killer, and from that point on it made me want to get involved,” she said.

Eyewitness News looked through its news archives and found a total of 42 homicides this year and 15 had no suspects.

At Saturday’s event, organizers talked to the community about the importance of standing up against violent criminals and tipping off police about unsolved crimes.

“When you see something happen, you are an eyewitness and you have a responsibility to tell what you see. If you don’t, you have been a part of that crime,” said Williams.

City Council woman Lawana Mayfield was also at Saturday’s rally.

She announced a proclamation by Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx declaring Oct. 27 Stop The Violence Day in Charlotte.

Published in: on October 29, 2012 at 8:36 am  Leave a Comment  

Suspects Sought in 2 Charlotte Shootings that Injured 4 Men

From The Charlotte Observer By Elisabeth Arriero, October 29, 2012

Charlotte police continued to look for suspects Sunday in connection with two separate shootings that left four people injured Saturday night.

About 7 p.m., Michael Hamilton, 24, was shot in the back near 6220 Sunstone Drive, near Statesville Road in north Charlotte, police said. Hamilton did not suffer life-threatening injuries, police said.

“This does not appear to be a random incident,” said Lt. Todd Lontz. “It looks like the suspect and victim possibly knew each other.”

Then, around 9:30 p.m., police responded to a report that three other victims were shot near 6325 Woodbend Drive, near Albemarle Road in east Charlotte.

Lontz said the three victims – who ranged in age from 22 to 32 – were approached by two people who demanded their money. One man was shot in his upper leg. Another was shot in the arm. The third man was shot in the hip and arm, police said.

Lontz said the wounds were not life-threatening, and the suspects left on foot.

Anyone with information on these two shootings is encouraged to call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

Published in: on October 29, 2012 at 8:29 am  Leave a Comment  

CMPD Officers Arrest Mother, Son for Robbing North Charlotte Bank

From www.wbtv.com, October 27, 2012

Police said a mother and son team was responsible for robbing a north Charlotte bank Friday evening.

Police got the 911 call about the robbery at two minutes before 6 p.m.

When an officer arrived in the area, he saw two people at a bus stop that fit the description of the suspects who robbed the bank.

The officer observed that the suspects had ink used in bank dye packs on their clothes.

After being questioned and searched police found the note the robbers used to commit the bank robbery and recovered the cash they had stolen.

Detectives identified the suspects as Carlos Lamonte Simpson, 21, and his mother Pamela Simpson, 48, and charged them both with common law robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery.

Published in: on October 28, 2012 at 11:59 am  Leave a Comment  

CMPD Searching For Suspects in East Charlotte Triple Shooting

From news14.com By McKinsey Harris, October 28, 2012

Officers with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department are looking for two men who they say shot three people

It happened Saturday at around 9:30 p.m. at the 6300 block of Woodbend Drive, off Farm Pond Lane.

Officers were at an apartment complex in east charlotte late Saturday night investigating this triple shooting.

Investigators said the call initially came in from a third party, reporting that four people had been shot.

Once police arrived at the scene, they found three people suffering from gunshot wounds.

It happened in the parking lot of the apartment complex and they said one woman and two men had been shot.

The woman was shot multiple times and sustained serious injuries.

All three victims were transported to the hospital.

Police say at this time, they don’t believe the suspects and victims knew each other, it was just a robbery situation.

Investigators received information that two men were seen running from the scene.

They’ve been canvassing the area and questioning any witnesses, as they search for these suspects.

If you have any information about this investigation, you’re asked to call Crime Stoppers at (704) 334-1600.

Published in: on October 28, 2012 at 11:54 am  Leave a Comment  

Elderly Charlotte Man Killed in Area of Recent Robberies

From The Charlotte Observer By Steve Lyttle and Cleve R. Wootson, October 24, 2012

A Charlotte-Mecklenburg police official says officers already were in the area when a man was fatally shot Tuesday night near Scaleybark Road in south Charlotte.

shooting102412

An elderly man was shot shortly after 9 p.m. at the corner of Conway Avenue and Blackthorne Lane, in a neighborhood of one-story houses near a public library and an elementary school.

They were investigating a series of recent robberies targeting Latinos, and Tuesday night’s victim was an elderly Latino man.

The shooting happened shortly after 9 p.m. at the corner of Conway Avenue and Blackthorne Lane, in a neighborhood of one-story houses near a public library and an elementary school. The area is between South Boulevard and Park Road.

The victim, whose name has not been released, was shot in the face, police say. He was taken to Carolinas Medical Center but died.

Police say officers from CMPD’s Westover Division heard the gunshot, as they were a few streets away, investigating five recent robberies that targeted Latino males.

CMPD’s canine search unit and helicopter were called into the search, but there was no word of any arrests. Detectives also went through the neighborhood, looking for possible witnesses.

Police ask that anyone with information in the case call Crime Stoppers, 704-334-1600.

Published in: on October 24, 2012 at 8:57 am  Leave a Comment  

Mecklenburg County Manager, Wife Robbed at Gunpoint

From The Charlotte Observer, Oct. 19, 2012

Mecklenburg County Manager Harry Jones and his wife were robbed at gunpoint Friday night in Charlotte’s NoDa neighborhood, reports WBTV.

The TV station reports that the couple was walking when they were approached by an armed man, who escaped with a wallet and purse.

Jones and his wife were not injured, according to WBTV.

Details from police weren’t immediately available.

Published in: on October 19, 2012 at 11:07 pm  Leave a Comment  

Teens Charged in East Charlotte Abduction, Robbery

From The Charlotte Observer by Neghan Cooke, October 18, 2012

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police have charged three young people with abducting a woman in east Charlotte and then driving her to nearby bank to withdraw money from her account.

Teens charged in woman’s abduction, robbery

              Joshua Lowery (left) & Jashari Billups

The incident began Oct. 10 on Executive Center Drive, near Albemarle and Farm Pond roads. That’s where three suspects approached the woman and then forced her into her vehicle, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg police.

The suspects drove to an ATM in the 6400 block of Albemarle Road and took money from the victim’s account, police said. Then, they drove to an apartment complex, got out of the vehicle and fled.

The woman was not hurt.

The next day, police released a surveillance photo showing a man – who wore gloves and had his head covered – reaching out of a vehicle at the ATM.

Police said they received information that led them to Jashari Billups and Joshua Lowery, both 16, as well as a juvenile whom police did not name. The trio was arrested Wednesday and each charged with armed robbery, second-degree kidnapping, first-degree sex offense and multiple counts of conspiracy.

Police said Billups faces additional armed robbery and conspiracy charges in connection with a crime that happened Oct. 12 on Canterwood Drive, located off North Tryon Street near the Hidden Valley neighborhood.

Anyone with information about the cases is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

Published in: on October 18, 2012 at 10:43 am  Leave a Comment  

Smartphone Apps Now Use Microphone to Record Your Conversations

Cellphone takes private pictures without your consent

From www.ten8.wordpress.com

Paul Joseph Watson, Infowars.com, October 15, 2012

Did you know that many of the apps you download to your smartphone now use your microphone to listen to you and your camera to take pictures of you without your confirmation?

New terms of agreement contracts now being attached to app downloads require users to accept that their cellphones become literal monitoring devices that record conversations and surreptitiously take pictures without the user ever giving permission.

It’s been common knowledge for years that app companies and service providers use GPS technology to pinpoint the location of smartphone users.

However, after purchasing a new Samsung Galaxy Note II and proceeding to download a couple of Android apps, one a social networking app and the other a simple calendar, I was shocked to discover that users are mandated to relinquish every aspect of privacy imaginable in order to download the app.

As you can see from the image above, app companies now demand the right to;

– “Record Audio” – “Allows the app to record audio with the microphone. This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation.”

– “Take pictures and videos” – “Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.”

App companies are also requiring you to allow them to approximate your location, send SMS messages from your phone that cost you money, read your contacts, read your phone status and identity, get “full network access” to your communications (in other words listen to your phone calls), modify or delete the contents of your USB storage, and disable your screen lock (the 4 digit code that password-protects your phone).

Since the vast majority of people simply consent to terms of agreement without bothering to read them, this means that potentially millions of smartphone users all over the world have given app companies and by extension service providers permission to record their conversations and take pictures of their private life.

This has been allowed to pass virtually unnoticed with barely any press attention or privacy debate whatsoever.

Since smartphones are dependent on apps, users are being given the option to either not use them and render their expensive device largely redundant, or submit to have their private conversations and personal life catalogued as if they were trapped inside The Truman Show.

Published in: on October 15, 2012 at 6:48 pm  Leave a Comment