Search Continues for Escaped Killer From NC Prison

From The Salisbury Post, September 24, 2012

TILLERY — North Carolina authorities continue to search for a 51-year-old man with ties to Yadkin County who is serving life sentences for murder and robbery. The man escaped while working on a prison farm.

A dispatcher for the Halifax County sheriff’s office said this morning that officials are still looking for James Ladd.

The Department of Public Safety said Ladd left his prison job Sunday outside Tillery prison. He was operating a tractor that officers found abandoned just before noon. Tillery is a minimum security prison.

James Ladd. NC Department of Corrections photo.

Ladd was convicted in 1981 for the shooting deaths of two men on a Yadkin County farm.

It was unclear why Ladd was housed at the minimum security prison.

Published in: on September 24, 2012 at 2:09 pm  Leave a Comment  

CMPD Charges 6 men – 5 of Them Teens – in 8 Charlotte Robberies

From The Charlotte Observer By Steve Lyttle, September 24, 2012

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say an arrest in a recent armed robbery in northwest Charlotte has led to a bigger haul — six young men charged in connection with eight robberies over the past two months across the west side of the city.

Five of the six are teens, and two are 17 years old.

robbery

 Top row left to right: Anfenee Nash, 17,  Sanchez Nicholson, 17, Jacobe Walker, 19.

 Bottom row left to right: Desmond Stone, 20,  Dondrae Stewart, 19,  Xavier Mills, 19.

The break-through came after Thursday night’s robbery of a 7-Elevan convenience store in the 2500 block of Beatties Ford Road, police say. The store was robbed at gunpoint, and police say their K-9 dog search unit found a track and followed it to a residence on Ablewood Road. Police say they found evidence in the yard while searching.

Police then found several people inside the house and questioned them. That led to the arrests, tie to the eight robberies. Two of the robberies happened Thursday, and two others involved the same convenience store on Brookshire Boulevard.

Charged in the case were: Anfernee Nash, 17; Xavier Mills, 19; Sanchez Nicholson, 17; Dondrae Lamar Stewart, 19; Desmond Stone, 20; and Jacobe Lavonne Walker, 19.

Police say all six of the men were not involved in any of the robberies. In two cases, four men were charged with a robbery. In another case, police say two men were involved. In the other five robberies, only one man faces charges so far.

Some or all of the six have been linked to these robberies, according to CMPD investigators:

Thursday: Circle K, 701 North Graham Street; and 7-Eleven, 2519 Beatties Ford Road..

Sept. 19: Sunoco convenience store, 3814 Brookshire Boulevard.

Sept. 16: Busy Mini Mart, 114 South Hoskins Road.

Sept. 12: 7-Eleven, 5455 Brookshire Boulevard.

Sept. 8: Bradford Food Mart, 309 Bradford Drive.

Sept. 6: robbery from a person at an ATM, 5641 Hovis Road.

July 26:7-Eleven, 5455 Brookshire Boulevard.

Published in: on September 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm  Leave a Comment  

CMPD, FBI Searching for Man Who Attempted to Rob East-Charlotte Bank

From The Charlotte Observer by Meghan Cooke, September 21, 2012

Authorities said a man wearing a white painter’s mask tried to rob an east Charlotte bank Friday afternoon but left without any cash.

The attempted robbery happened around 2:15 p.m. at a BB&T bank on Albemarle Road, not far from the intersection with Harrisburg Road.

The FBI released this surveillance photo showing the suspect in the Sept. 21 attempted robbery of a BB&T bank on Albemarle Road in east Charlotte.

The same branch was robbed by a man wearing a similar mask just last month.

In Friday’s case, the suspect went inside the bank and passed a note to the teller but then left, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. No one was injured.

It isn’t immediately clear why he left before receiving any money.

Surveillance photos released by the FBI show the man standing at the teller’s counter and then apparently leaving the bank.

Authorities said the suspect was described as a black man who wore a beige or gold sweat suit with a white stripe down the side. He also wore a painter’s mask, sunglasses and a green hat.

Anyone with information about the suspect is asked to call Charlotte-Mecklenburg Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600 or FBI Charlotte at 704-672-6100.

Published in: on September 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm  Leave a Comment  

CMPD Searching for Assualt Victim

From The Charlotte Observer by Meghan Cooke, September 21, 2012

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say they are searching for a 19-year-old woman who has not been seen since Wednesday, when she was reportedly the victim of a serious assault.

Candice Griffin was last seen on Plaza Road Extension in northeast Charlotte. Police say they’ve learned that Griffin was assaulted on or around Wednesday.

G3M5VJ8N0.2

Candice Griffin, 19. Photo courtesy of the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office.

Griffin’s family and friends have not heard from her, and they are “extremely concerned,” police say.

Police say Griffin is a black woman who is 5-foot-1 and 110 pounds.

Anyone with information about her whereabouts is asked to call 911 or Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

Published in: on September 21, 2012 at 6:14 pm  Leave a Comment  

CMPD Searching for Armed Robbery Suspect

From The Charlotte Observer by Megahn Cooke, September 21, 2012

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police are searching for a 20-year-old who robbed a man at gunpoint during an apparent drug deal last month in the University City area.

On Friday, police announced that Zohaib Khan is a suspect in the Aug. 26 robbery on Ivy Meadow Drive at the Piedmont of Ivy Meadow apartment complex. That’s near the intersection of East W.T. Harris Boulevard and Old Concord Road.

G3M5VIEAK.3

2010 photo of Zohaib Khan. Photo courtesy of CMPD

The victim, an 18-year-old man, told police he’d gone there to buy marijuana from Khan. But Khan brandished a handgun and demanded his money, according to a police report.

Police said they believe Khan may be in the Charlotte, Concord or Kannapolis area.

Khan is 5-foot-7 and 150 pounds, police said.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department’s Violent Criminal Apprehension Team at 703-336-8228.

Published in: on September 21, 2012 at 6:09 pm  Leave a Comment  

Monroe Woman with Flat Tire Reports Attempted Abduction in Broad Daylight

From The Charlotte Observer, September 20, 2012

Police in Monroe are investigating a reported abduction attempt Wednesday morning involving five men and a female would-be victim.

Police say a 26-year-old woman told them her vehicle had a flat tire about 9 a.m. at First Street and Morgan Mill Road. She said five men offered to help, then demanded $20 when they finished putting air in the tire.

The woman said she told the men she had only $10 and gave it to them. The men then grabbed her by the arm and tried to pull her away, the woman said, but she escaped and called police.

Monroe police searched the area but did not find the them.

Published in: on September 20, 2012 at 11:57 am  Leave a Comment  

2 from Mecklenburg Win Hero Medals

From The Charlotte Observer By Steve Lyttle, September 20, 2012

Two Mecklenburg County men who helped save a young girl from drowning in an icy pond nearly two years ago were named Thursday as winners of the Carnegie Hero Medal.

They were among 19 winners named this week and 63 honored so far this year by the Pittsburgh-based Carnegie Hero Fund Commission, started in 1904 by industrialist-philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.

Leonard Terry and Mark McCullagh were honored for their efforts in saving a 9-year-old girl who had walked onto an ice-covered pond in the Ballantyne area. The incident happened Jan. 12, 2010.

A thin layer of ice had formed on the pond after Charlotte experienced five consecutive days of temperatures at or below freezing. The young girl walked about 60 feet out into the pond behind an apartment complex when the ice gave way. She fell into the frigid waters.

Terry, 25, had been watching from his apartment window and immediately ran out to the pond. Even though he could not swim, Terry walked out on the ice in an effort to save the girl, who was struggling in the water. As he neared the girl, he also fell through the ice into the water.

“He submerged completely, and when he surfaced, the girl clung to his back as he trod water, submerging repeatedly, and calling for help,” according to the report issued by the Carnegie Commission.

McCullagh, 46, heard the shouts at his home nearby. He too ran to the pond, took off his coat, and crawled along the ice.

He got close enough to Terry and the girl to pull the child from the water. Moments later, the ice broke again, sending McCullagh into the water.

“McCullagh then supported Terry, who outweighed him, against the solid ice as they awaited help,” according to the report.

Charlotte firefighters arrived shortly afterwards and rescued the two men. Terry, McCullagh and the child each was treated for hypothermia.

The Carnegie Hero Medal carries a cash award of at least $5,000, although the commission did not disclose how much the two Charlotte-area men will receive. The group of winners named Thursday includes two men who drowned while trying to save others.

Published in: on September 20, 2012 at 11:52 am  Leave a Comment  

CMPD Interested in Recent Harris-Teeter Robbery in Durham

 From www.wsoctv.com, September 19, 2012

Channel 9 is asking Charlotte police whether a recent Harris Teeter robbery in Durham could be linked to the string of robberies in the Charlotte area.

Durham Harris Teeter robbery
Durham Harris Teeter robbery

Durham police said two men robbed a Harris Teeter there on Sept. 11.

Surveillance photos show the men had their faces covered. One of the suspects was armed.

No one in the store was hurt during the robbery.

Local police are investigating at least three Harris Teeter robberies in the area.

In May, two men robbed stores in Fort Mill, Cornelius and Ballantyne.

Police believe all three of those robberies are connected.

Published in: on September 19, 2012 at 9:08 am  Leave a Comment  

Grand Opening Set for New CMPD Steele Creek Station

From The Charlotte Observer, September 19, 2012

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police are holding a grand opening ceremony Wednesday for the department’s new police station in Steele Creek.

The event is set to begin at 2:30 p.m. at the station located at Westinghouse Boulevard and South Tryon Street (N.C. 49).

Police Chief Rodney Monroe, Charlotte City Councilwoman LaWana Mayfield and Sabrina Brown of the Public Art Commission are among those scheduled to appear at the event.

The new police station replaces the Steele Creek division’s old offices on Shopton Road. The facility is about 12,000-square feet and can hold 115 officers, according to the Lake Wylie Pilot.

Published in: on September 19, 2012 at 8:59 am  Leave a Comment  

CMPD Officers Arrest “Frankenstein” Gas Station Robbery Suspect

From www.wbtv.com By Martha Sellers, September 17, 2012

The man accused of wearing a Frankenstein mask as he robbed four gas stations in Charlotte, is behind bars.

Police say Eric Christopher Orr hit four gas stations in a 90 minute period on his 28th birthday, September 13.

Investigators said the first robbery happened on Mallard Creek Road in the University City area at 2:53 a.m.

Then a gas station at The Plaza at 3:19 a.m., followed by a gas station on Albemarle Road at 3:42 a.m. and one on W.T. Harris Boulevard at 4:19 a.m.

Surveillance video captured the robberies in progress, and led to a better description of the suspect.

Officers said they originally arrested Orr Saturday for possession of a stolen vehicle. While Orr was being questioned, police said they realized he matched the robbery suspect’s description.

Orr is charged with three counts of armed robbery, one count attempted armed robbery, and four counts of possession of a firearm by a felon.

Police believe Orr may have been involved with three other robberies as well.

Published in: on September 18, 2012 at 10:18 am  Leave a Comment  
%d bloggers like this: