Suspect Still at Large in Ballantyne 7-11 Robbery

By CALEB TROOP / WCNC.com, September 28, 2012

Charlotte police are still looking for the person who used a taser to rob a Ballantyne convenience store earlier this month.

The robbery took place inside the 7-11 at 5200 Piper Station Drive off Rea Road just south of Interstate 485 around 3:40 a.m. September 12, according to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department report.

Police said a man walked into the store and stole a carton of Newport cigarettes valued at $48 using a taser against one of the store employees.  The man then left in an unknown car traveling north and has not been seen since.

If you have any information about this incident you are asked to call CMPD at 704-336-7600.

Published in: on September 28, 2012 at 8:51 am  Leave a Comment  

Escaped Killer Captured

From www.wcnc.com, September 27, 2012

A 51-year-old man serving life sentences for murder and robbery who escaped while working on a prison farm was captured Thursday, officials said.

Escaped killer captured in Halifax County

The Department of Public Safety said in a release that James Ladd left his prison job Sunday outside Tillery prison in Halifax County. Ladd was operating a tractor on the farm. Officers found it abandoned just before noon Sunday. Ladd was captured by corrections officers and Alcohol Law Enforcement agents about 10 miles from the prison farm, according to the North Carolina Department of Public Safety.

“Officers and agents were following up on a tip along NC Highway 125 near Scotland Neck, when a passing motorist stopped and alerted them about a man he had just seen running from the woods toward a nearby home.

The teams immediately responded to that home and began a search of the property around it,” the NCDPS said in a statement. Ladd was found crouched down in a garage at the house. Ladd was convicted in 1981 for the shooting deaths of two men on a Yadkin County farm.

Tillery is a minimum security prison. It’s unclear why Ladd was housed at the minimum security prison. According to the agency’s Web site, Ladd’s had seven infractions since 1981, most recently in 2010 for tobacco use. Prior to that, he disobeyed orders in 1992. Ladd will face charges for escape from prison and other prison disciplinary charges.

Published in: on September 28, 2012 at 8:48 am  Leave a Comment  

Hidden Transmitter Leads to 3 Stolen Honda Civics

From The Charlotte Observer by Meghan Cooke, September 27, 2012

A 20-year-old man faces vehicle theft charges after police said they tracked a stolen car equipped with a hidden transmitter to a Charlotte yard, where they found two more stolen cars.

G8Q60T7C2.3

Rethanachan Em, 20. Photo courtesy of the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office.

The three cars – all Honda Civics – were reported stolen Wednesday morning within nine miles of each other in the University City area and east Charlotte.

In one case, a 1999 Civic was reported missing from the Barrington Place apartment complex off East W.T. Harris Boulevard.

A man told Charlotte-Mecklenburg police that he left his apartment Wednesday morning to go to work and discovered his car missing. Police didn’t find any glass where the vehicle was parked, according to a police report.

Another man told police that his 1993 Civic was stolen around 4:30 a.m. on Ruth Drive near The Plaza and Milton Road.

A third vehicle, a 2000 Civic, was reported stolen between 1 a.m. and 7 a.m. on Copper Creek Court, just off Albemarle Road.

But one of the cars had a LoJack transmitter, which emits a signal when activated.

Police said the device allowed investigators on Wednesday to track the car to a home on Langley Road, located in a neighborhood off Shamrock road in east Charlotte.

When officers arrived, they discovered the three stolen cars in the backyard, police said.

Police arrested Rethanachan Em of Charlotte, charging him with three counts of larceny of a motor vehicle. He remained in Mecklenburg jail Thursday under a $30,000 bond.

Anyone with additional information about the case is asked to call the Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

Published in: on September 28, 2012 at 8:32 am  Leave a Comment  

Did Colorado Shooter Single Out Cinemark Theater Because It Banned Guns?

From www.ten8.wordpress.com

By , September 10, 2012, FoxNews.com

With 12 dead and 58 wounded, the July 20th shooting at the Cinemark Century  16 Theater in Aurora, Colorado was sure to result in a lawsuit. On Friday, the  first suit was announced, claiming Cinemark has “primary responsibility.” The theater did have responsibility for the attack, but not for the reasons that  the lawyers bringing the case think.

The lawyer bringing the suit, Attorney Marc Bern,  with the New York city law firm of Napoli,  Bern, Ripka and Scholonik,  suggested the theater should have had security guards the night of the attack.  Yet, checking bags or metal detectors at the front of the theater that night  wouldn’t have prevented the attack. The killer brought his guns in through an  emergency backdoor.

Armed security guards at movie theaters are rare in low crime areas, such as  Aurora, especially on less crowded weeknights. And, with an audience fleeing the  theater, armed guards may have experienced difficulty getting quickly  inside.

So why did the killer pick the Cinemark theater? You might think that it was  the one closest to the killer’s apartment. Or, that it was the one with the  largest audience.

Yet, neither explanation is right. Instead, out of all the movie theaters  within 20 minutes of his apartment showing the new Batman movie that night, it  was the only one where guns were banned. In Colorado, individuals with permits  can carry concealed handgun in most malls, stores, movie theaters, and  restaurants. But private businesses can determine whether permit holders can  carry guns on their private property.

Most movie theaters allow permit holders carrying guns. But the Cinemark  movie theater was the only one with a sign posted at the theater’s entrance.

A simple web search and some telephone  calls reveal how easily one can find out how Cinemark compared to other movie theaters.  According to mapquest.com and movies.com, there were seven movie theaters  showing “The Dark Knight Rises” on July 20th within 20 minutes of the killer’s  apartment at 1690 Paris St, Aurora, Colorado. At 4 miles and an 8-minute car  ride, the Cinemark’s Century Theater wasn’t the closest. Another theater was  only 1.2 miles (3 minutes) away.

There was also a theater just slightly further away, 10 minutes. It is the  “home of Colorado’s largest auditorium,” according to their movie hotline  greeting message. The potentially huge audience ought to have been attractive to  someone trying to kill as many people as possible. Four other theaters were 18  minutes, two at 19 minutes, and 20 minutes away. But all of those theaters  allowed permitted concealed handguns.

So why would a mass shooter pick a place that bans guns? The answer should be  obvious, though it apparently is not clear to the media – disarming law-abiding  citizens leaves them as sitting ducks.

Concealed carry is much more frequent than many people believe. With over 4  percent of the adult population in Colorado having concealed handgun permits, a  couple hundred adults in Cinemark’s movie theater #9 means that there is an  extremely high probability that at least one adult would have a permit.

Unfortunately, some have still not figured this out. A manager at the Harkins  Northfield 18 five miles from the killer’s apartment told me, the theater  changed its policy and started banning concealed handguns following the Cinemark  attack.

The recent Colorado and Sikh  Temple shootings are by no means the first times that killers targeted  gun-free zones. We have witnessed mass public shootings in such places as the  Westroads Mall in Omaha, Nebraska and the Trolley Square Mall in Salt Lake City,  Utah. In both cases, guns were banned at those particular malls, but not at  other similar venues that allowed guns and were spared. With just one single  exception, the attack in Tucson last year, every public shooting since at least  1950 in the U.S. in which more than three people have been killed has taken  place where citizens are not allowed to carry guns.

And remember the 1999 Columbine attack in Colorado. Few appreciate that Dylan Klebold, one of the two  Columbine killers, was following (keeping track of) Colorado legislation that would have let  citizens carry a concealed handgun.  Presumably, he feared being stopped during his attack by someone with a weapon.  In fact, the Columbine attack occurred the very day that final passage was  scheduled.

Gun-free zones are a magnet for those who want to kill many people quickly.  Even the most ardent gun control advocate would never put “Gun-Free Zone” signs  on their home. Let’s stop finally putting them elsewhere.

John R. Lott, Jr. is a FOXNews.com  contributor. He is an economist and co-author of the just released “Debacle:  Obama’s War on Jobs and Growth and What We Can Do Now to Regain Our Future” (John Wiley & Sons, March 2012). Follow him on Twitter@johnrlottjr.

Published in: on September 25, 2012 at 10:31 am  Leave a Comment  

10-Year-Old with BB Gun Saves Mother’s Life From Attacker

From The Buckeye Firearms Association, September 19, 2012

A 10-year-old boy in Belligham, WA saved his mother’s life after she was attacked by a man renting a room at their home recently.  Police say the boy ran and got his pump action BB gun and shot the man at least four times.

“He assaulted the female while she was in bed tried to strangle her,” said Office Mark Young with the Bellingham Police Department, “and during the commotion her young son came to her rescue.”

Published in: on September 25, 2012 at 9:27 am  Leave a Comment  

Amber Alert Issued for Missing Newport, N.C. Girl

By News 14 Carolina Web Staff, September 25, 2012

NEWPORT, N.C. – A nationwide Amber Alert has been issued for a missing Newport girl.

The Carteret County Sheriff’s Office says 12-year-old Abigale Lefevers was last seen by her father Sunday night.

Authorities say they believe she may be with 38-year-old Timothy Newman, a registered sex offender, who was also last seen Sunday night. Investigators say Newman has had contact with Lefevers over the past several weeks.

They’re believed to be traveling in a red 1998 Chrysler Sebring with North Carolina license plate AKT-6534. It was last seen on U.S. 17 southbound near the South Carolina border.

Lefevers is about 90 pounds and was last wearing Nike shoes and carrying a pink backpack with peace signs. Anyone who may know where she or Newman can be found should call the Carteret County Sheriff’s Office at (252) 504-4800.

Nationwide Amber Alert issued for missing Newport girl

 

Nationwide Amber Alert issued for missing Newport girl

 

Published in: on September 25, 2012 at 9:11 am  Leave a Comment  

City Council Approves More than $100K in Gear for CMPD

From www.wsoctv.com, September 25, 2012

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department will get more than $100,000 in new equipment.

City Council members approved the extra money during Monday night’s meeting.

The money has been approved for tactical vests and rifle plates as well as $560,000 for helicopter training and maintenance.

CMPD used the vests during the Democratic National Convention.  The city received $50 million in federal money for security during the convention.

Channel 9 has asked what the $50 million was spent on and what CMPD was able to keep.  Channel 9 was told that information would be released next month.

Published in: on September 25, 2012 at 9:04 am  Leave a Comment  

Local Rescue-Turned-Therapy Dog Needs Your Vote

By MEGHAN DANAHEY / NewsChannel 36, September 24, 2012

Angel, a local rescue-turned-therapy dog, is one of four national finalists in the Purina Pro Plan Rally to Rescue Tales of Greatness Contest.

 

 Angel and her seven pups were starving to death and left to die in their owner’s backyard until S.A.F.E. Animal Haven of Matthews rescued them all.  Now, if she wins, Purina will donate $5,000 in food to S.A.F.E. Animal Haven in Matthews.

“Our dogs come from all over–from the side of the roads, we’ve stopped and picked them up, we’ve gotten them out of shelters, we have calls of neglected or abused animals, we’ve gone and helped out with puppy mills–you name it. They come from everywhere,” said S.A.F.E Animal Haven co-founder Beth Brown.

Angel came into her new home exhausted, limping and skinny, with severe heart worms. The vet found air pellets inside her abdominal cavity during her spay operation, so there it was obvious she had been shot. You can’t tell any of that when you meet her today. Despite all she has been through, her new owners said the love just pours out of her eyes. Angel has thrived since her rescue.

Just one year later, she is a certified A.K.C. Canine Good Citizen and she’s certified with Therapy Dogs International. Her wagging tail and sloppy kisses delight the senior citizens at The Laurels in the Village at Carolina Place.

“Angel gives back in so many ways, so much more than I feel like we’ve given to her, constantly, so that’s why she deserves to win,” said her new owner, Marie Boucher.

She may not know it, but Angel has a legacy. At least one of her puppies–he happens to be our dog, Rooster–just might have a future in pet therapy.

Voting closes October 24.

To vote for Angel, copy and paste the link below into your web-browser:

http://www.facebook.com/rallytorescue/app_383458521723293

Published in: on September 24, 2012 at 9:20 pm  Leave a Comment  

CMPD Searching for “Bait Car” Suspect

From www.wcnc.com, September 24, 2012

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg police is asking for the public’s help in locating a suspect.

suspect

Police search for bait car suspectDetectives say on September 16, they parked a bait car on Collegiate Avenue.  The unknown suspect entered the vehicle sometime around 6 a.m.whent he photos were taken.

According to authorities the suspect did not successfully drive off with the vehicle.
Anyone with information on the suspect should contact Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

Published in: on September 24, 2012 at 9:13 pm  Leave a Comment  

Southpark Apartment Complex Approved by Charlotte City Council

From www.wsoctv.com, September 24, 2012

The proposed eight-story complex with 300 units on the corner of Barclay Downs Drive and Morrison Boulevard in Southpark was approved Monday night by the City Council.

Southpark Condos
Southpark Apartments

Some neighbors have been fighting the complex for months; petitioning the mayor and council members, saying it’s too big and would bring too many cars to the area.

Some businesses say they could use the extra foot traffic.

“I think that would be great, especially right around the corner. You could totally just walk here. The increase of business that it would bring would be incredible,” said manager Jaime Stegall.

“It’s too high, it’s too big, it’s too much on too little.”

The project is estimated to make the city $750,000 in tax revenue.

Published in: on September 24, 2012 at 9:09 pm  Leave a Comment  
%d bloggers like this: