Toxic Plant Blamed In Recent Dog Deaths

From, April 7, 2011

CORNELIUS, N.C. — There’s a new warning out to keep your pets safe from a tree that is used in everyday landscaping that could be deadly.

Officials at the North Mecklenburg Animal Shelter in Cornelius told Channel 9 that they have seen two dogs within the past two weeks die after eating a landscaping tree called Sago Palm.

Cycas revoluta


The Sago tree (Cycas revoluta) is a plant that is native to southern Japan. It’s described as a very symmetrical plant that supports a crown of shiny, dark green leaves on a thick, shaggy trunk.

It is a small palm tree or plant that is toxic to animals as well as humans if ingested. Clinical symptoms of ingestion will develop within 12 hours and may include vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, seizures, liver failure, or hepatotoxicity characterized by icterus, cirrhosis, and ascites.

Jules Moss, who works at the shelter, told Channel 9 that workers want to get the word out to pet owners before people start landscaping their yards this spring.

Moss said the tree is sometimes even used indoors.

If your pet ingested this plant, contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.

To watch a video on this subject, click the link below:

Some of the information on the Sago tree in this article was provided by Wikipedia.

Published in: on April 7, 2011 at 5:53 pm  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: